The Journal of Law and Political Economy (JLPE) is looking for a part-time person (up to 20 hours per week) to manage the ongoing daily operations of our academic journal.
The Journal of Law and Political Economy (JLPE) is an online, open-access, peer-reviewed, multidisciplinary, international journal affiliated with the University of California, Berkeley School of Law. JLPE is a project of ClassCrits, Inc., a 501(c) (3) organization of scholars dedicated to building the field of Law and Political Economy from the vantage point of many disciplines. The journal publishes 2–3 issues per year.
The only US-based academic journal dedicated to the Law and Political Economy movement, JLPE promotes work by scholars in law, the social sciences, and the humanities whose research seeks to expose mechanisms of structural inequality and to promote economic, political, and social justice. The Journal’s central goal is to explore power in all its manifestations (including but not limited to race, gender, sexuality, disability, and global inequality), and the relationship of law to the governance of states, markets, and civil society.
Responsibilities of the Managing Editor include:
- Coordinating the peer-review process for each article from submission to final decision, communicating with authors, reviewers, and other JLPE team members;
- Managing the production process for accepted articles, working with copy editors and other JLPE team members to ensure that published manuscripts adhere to the highest standards of quality;
- Providing administrative support to the JLPE editorial board, including calendaring committee meetings, setting meeting agendas, taking and circulating notes, and archiving meeting notes in an organized and accessible format;
- Using best practices technology and academic journal industry norms to create and maintain an organized database of communications, manuscripts, meeting notes, and other key documents and records accessible to everyone on the management team;
- Participating in outreach, communication, strategic planning, fundraising, and publicity activities along with other JLPE team members; and
- Representing the Journal at public events, including conferences, and networking with members of the LPE community.
We are looking for a person with excellent skills in writing, editing, and oral communication with a relevant academic background (such as a PhD or JD), who is people-oriented, enjoys management, has an interest in the publishing industry, and has the ability to make at least a two-year commitment. Familiarity with and interest in the Law and Political Economy movement is a plus. This is a part-time position paying $25–$30 USD per hour, depending on experience.
Interested candidates should email a letter of inquiry outlining your qualifications, a resume, and at least two references to Professor Angela P. Harris at the University of California, Davis, School of Law, firstname.lastname@example.org, before October 20, 2023. Please include “JLPE Managing Editor” in the subject line.