Job Announcement: The Law & Political Economy Project is Hiring!
The Law and Political Economy (LPE) Project seeks to hire a Deputy Director.
The LPE Project brings together a network of scholars, practitioners, and students working to develop innovative intellectual, pedagogical, and political interventions to advance the study of political economy and law. The Project also supports the development of ideas and proposals to democratize our political economy, advance economic, racial, and gender equality, and build a more sustainable future. To further this mission, the Project hosts public events, conferences, and academies; forms scholarly reading groups and workshops; helps develop courses and course materials; hosts the LPE blog; and facilitates mentorship. We also connect our network of scholars with activists, practitioners, and policy specialists to ensure that LPE work both supports and is informed by engaged practice, and we have begun some of our own direct collaborations with policy groups and organizers.
The LPE Project is in an exciting phase of development. We have grown rapidly with a small start-up staff, and we now seek to deepen our impact by hiring more full-time personnel.
The Deputy Director will be responsible for leading specific elements of LPE programming. Overall, the Deputy Director will be expected to work closely with the Executive Director, the Faculty Co-Directors, and faculty within the LPE faculty network to:
- organize and execute LPE events and conferences
- help with communications, particularly for the public education side of the LPE Project
- develop new partnerships with media, policy, and advocacy organizations as opportunities arise
- facilitate the growth of LPE student chapters and provide logistical support
- deepen and expand relationships with key scholars and centers in the legal ecosystem to continue building our intellectual movement
- contribute to the new Law and Organizing initiative focused on strengthening labor and community organizing
- contribute to the development of LPE NYC, our first regional LPE node
- assist with fundraising and grant reporting
Applicants should have a J.D. or graduate degree and a demonstrated ability to collaborate with co-workers on practical tasks. Ideally, they would also have significant project management or organizing experience, and a familiarity with LPE scholarship or work on political economy in an adjacent field.
The Deputy Director will preferably start July 15 or August 1, 2023. The Deputy Director is expected to participate in LPE programming at Yale Law School, and in regular in-person meetings in New Haven and/or New York City. Ideally they would reside in New Haven, Connecticut, but residents will also be considered.
The annual compensation for the Deputy Director is $85,000, plus excellent benefits (including health insurance).
Applications are due on June 15, 2023. Please submit:
- a cover letter
- a CV or resumé
- a law school and/or graduate school transcript
- three references, at least one of which must be a professional reference
- at least one example of recent writing
Please submit materials to email@example.com.
We especially encourage applicants with backgrounds underrepresented in the legal academy to apply for the position.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.